Winter holidays in the Pillerseetal region
Your holiday in the snowiest region of Tyrol
Why not spend your winter holiday where mother nature is most at home, in Pillerseetal, the snowiest region of Tyrol. Come and explore the snow-covered winter scenery around the Naturhotel Kitzspitz, enjoy skiing right next to the hotel, cross-country skiing, winter hiking, and tobogganing.
Accommodation right next to the piste
Our rooms and suites in our hotel right next to the piste offer plenty of space for relaxation and feeling great.
Winter holidays in Tyrol right next to the piste
- Our hotel is next to the piste and just a few minutes’ drive from one of Austria’s largest ski areas. The Hotel Kitzspitz has a great location next to the piste and lift of the Buchensteinwand Pillersee ski area with its popular Bobo-Kinderpark for the children. The Pillersee ski school and ski hire are right next to the bottom lift station, by the hotel, very convenient for family holidays in the Pillerseetal region
- The biggest skiing pleasure in Austria - the Skicircus Saalbach Hinterglemm Leogang Fieberbrunn and the Freeride Hotspot Fieberbrunn are just a few minutes’ drive from the hotel. Combine a quiet wellness holiday with a huge selection of lifts and pistes on your skiing holiday.
- There is another family ski area included in the Schneewinkel ski pass, the Waidring-Steinplatte, complete with fun park.
- Other large ski areas such as St. Johann, Kitzbühel, and Skiwelt Wilder Kaiser all within 30 min drive.
Holidays in a Nordic sports paradise
- Approximately 100 km of cross-country ski trails (classic & skating) with access to the trail right in front of the hotel.
- Biahtlon Hochburg Pillerseetal: Ski schools that specialise in biathlon and cross-country skiing. In the Hochfilzen biathlon centre, there are taster courses each week, and each year the IBU Biathlon World Cup takes place in Hochfilzen; in 2017 it is also the venue for the IBU Biathlon Weltmeisterschaft.
- Approximately 100 km of winter hiking paths with access to the paths on the hotel’s doorstep
- Toboggan runs, ice rink and curling rink
- Riding holidays in winter
- Romantic horse-drawn sleigh rides and more.
- Easily accessible, just 60 min from Salzburg airport, and 2 hours from Munich airport. We will pick you up from Fieberbrunn station free of charge if you choose to travel by train. We can also arrange a taxi transfer from Salzburg airport for you.
Active winter holidays in the Pillerseetal region away from the pistes
In winter, the air is remarkably clear and refreshing, and the glistening white winter landscape is especially magical. And, after some exercise out in the fresh air, enjoy wellness in our Garden Spa, with wonderful sauna infusions and therapeutic massages. Winter holidays in Tyrol are all about rest and recuperation.
Winter hiking and snowshoe walking in the Pillerseetal region
There is a 100 km network of prepared Winter hiking paths accessible from right in front of the Hotel Kitzspitz, a real winter pleasure for non-skiers.
Enjoy some relaxing time on romantic walks through the glistening, white winter scenery, round the Pillersee lake for example, and experiencing winter too. There are easy, flat winter walks that start right in front of the Kitzspitz, as well as more uphill tours into the snowy mountains of Tyrol.
The joy of nature, and pleasure for the palate in winter
On any walk through the wintry Pillerseetal region, a cosy stop off at one of the many Alpine huts accessible on foot is a must. Enjoy a warming cup of hot tea or a delicious punch, and try some of the tasty Tyrolean delicacies.
Jausenstation Eiblberg (1.000 m)
|The Jausenstation Eiblberg is a walk of approximately 30 min from the village centre via the Eiblberg. |
Open: MON-WED, SUN from 11.30
Closed: THU, FRI and SAT (in Winter)
Speciality: “Brettljause” snack
|Jausenstation Tennalm (1.080 m)|
Schönau-Petrach, 6391 Fieberbrunn
T +43 664 / 2333628
|Head to the fire station from the village centre, and then left over the bridge up to the Weiler Schönau-Pertrach. At the fork after passing under the railway, turn right. You then go round some tight bends following the track up to the rustic Tennalm hut. A lovely sunny location with views over Fieberbrunn. |
|Hoametzl Hütte (1.200 m)|
Kammbergweg 1, Hochfilzen
T +43 676 / 6064415
|From Warming, part of Hochfilzen, head up left at the Hörlbauer farm towards Tennweg, then after the Untertenn farm, follow the Kammbergweg path up to the Hoametzl hut; very sunny and great views. With lit 1.5 km toboggan run.|
Enjoy impressive views from snowy mountain peaks, and the warmth of the sun. Pedestrians can travel up and down on any of the 3 lifts.
Riding holidays in winter
The indoor riding facility at the Strasserwirt riding school is of course open in winter too. With equipment for beginners, group lessons for intermediates, individual lessons or rides through the Pillerseetal (depending on the weather). The Riding Hotel Kitzspitz has perfect conditions for riding holidays in Tyrol in winter too.
Ski touring in Austria’s mountains
Head up through the wonderful winter scenery under your own steam, and enjoy the pleasant tranquillity away from the pistes. Once at the top and rewarded with the panoramic views, enjoy a fantastic descent on untouched snowy slopes.
The Pillersee-Buchensteinwand ski lifts right next to our hotel offer ski touring evenings twice a week (TUE and FRI) when you are allowed to ski down the pistes.
A variety of ski tours in the Fieberbrunn ski area
|Summit / Tour||Vertical metres||Duration||Descent / information|
|Wildseeloder (2.119 m)||150 m||1 h||Various different routes down on the east flank. For more advanced and expert freeriders there are some difficult routes on the north flank.|
|Platte (1.906 m)||300 m||1 h 50 min||Ski down to the Wildalmen and to the Grießenbodenalm.|
|Mahdstein (2.063 m)||173 m||1 h 40 min||To Fieberbrunn via Jufenalm and through the Pletzengraben.|
|Bischof (2.127 m)||1.277 m||4 h 50 min||Past the Bischofsloch on the western ridge, the Farmkopf and the Farmangeralm, then through the Pletzengraben to the Gasthof Winkelmoos car park.|
|Gebra (2.057 m)||1.207 m||4 h||Past the Gebrakapelle and the Farmangeralm on the south flank and the west ridge, to the Gasthof Winkelmoos.|
|Karstein (1.922 m)||920m||3 h||Into the steep northern hollow from the summit, and then on to Eggenalm and Edenhausalm.|
A real winter holiday joy: tobogganing
- There is a 1 km natural toboggan run right next to the Kitzspitz. It is lit and open until 23.00, guaranteeing tobogganing fun whatever your age.
- Approximately a half hour walk
- Free toboggan hire for Kitzspitz guests
Other toboggan runs in Hochfilzen, Waidring and Fieberbrunn:
- The 1.5 km Hoametzl Hütte toboggan run in Hochfilzen, Länge, lit until 1 o’clock
- Tobogganing in Fieberbrunn on the 2.5 km run, lit daily until midnight. The walk up takes approximately 1.5 hours, or you can take a taxi
- Oberweissbach lit natural toboggan run in Waidring, 2 km long, a half hour’s walk. There is shuttle transfer up the mountain from 16.00 from Tuesdays through to Saturday.
- Waidring: Schlauchbob-Bahn, 360 m long, open Tuesday to Sunday 14.00 to 22.00
A winter mountain experience with a difference
Timoks Coaster in Fieberbrunn - a hit for families! The Timoks Coaster summer toboggan run is also open in winter.
The Hornpark in St. Johann flying fox: glide through a course over 531 m and 7 stages. An unforgettable feeling of freedom for those not scared of heights.
Of course, in the Pillerseetal region you can also enjoy
- llama trekking
- archery (in winter too)
- Climbing in the indoor climbing hall, and take in some sea air in the Dead Sea salt grotto at Familienland in St. Jakob
The wide range of recreational activities on offer should whet your appetite for a winter holiday in the Tyrolean mountains, a place where you can not only ski, go cross-country skiing, or winter hiking, but also enjoy lots of other wonderful activities out in the open air. The Pillerseetal has something to offer everyone, no matter how adventurous.
Book your winter holiday in the Kitzspitz now
For all nature lovers who would like to enjoy restful walks and hikes through the wintry Pillerseetal region, the Well-being Hotel Kitzspitz offers attractive winter packages. Send us a no-obligation enquiry now!